Wednesday 4 July 2012

Pediatrician

Faith has been to four pediatricians (almost all for vaccination only), all of them at RSPI.
I'm going to write about our (Toma and I) personal view on them, please note that this is very subjective :) 




dr. Karel Staa SpA
He was her first pediatrician. I was in the delivery room just about to giving birth when the nurse asked me whether I agree to have him as Faith's pediatrician. I haven't given much thought/research about this (my fault), so I just agreed. I thought I've met him during my pregnancy gym (senam hamil) anyway.

He visited our hospital room the next morning after Faith was born and said Faith was ok, nothing to be concerned of. However he didn't visit us the morning after to confirm whether we could take Faith home or not. Anyway the nurse said that she has confirmed to him that we could, but we need to bring her back for regular check-up when she was five days old.

As instructed, at five days old, we brought Faith to him. As a new parent, we were prepared with many questions. However he seemed bothered when we asked him many questions. He said repeatedly that Faith was ok. He acted as if we didn't trust him. Maybe he saw us as an inexperienced young parent who should just swallow whatever he said. I don't know. However, that visit made me consider other pediatricians. I think a good doctor should be open for discussion, don't you think?

dr. Hari Martono SpA
I got his name from my pastor's wife.
I guess he was one of the most favorite doctor in RSPI, because we have to schedule an appointment about at least two weeks in advance to get the first queue.
He answered our questions. So we decided to come back to him again (we were easily pleased, weren't we?) I think most of Faith's vaccinations were done by him.
I have no complaint against him, but I feel that he is a bit cold and doesn't like children.
But anyway Faith was healthy, so no worries.

dr. Sanders SpA
We went to see him when Faith was 11 months old.
Faith caught a mild cold.
We were worried because her nasal mucus turned green after about a week catching cold.
He explained that when the green mucus means that the Faith is getting better. He also gave us a reference on the web for that explain the logic behind this. (will ask Toma if he remembered the link and paste it here).
He said we shouldn't worry because Faith was still active. He also didn't give any medicine and said to let Faith recover by herself. I liked his view on medicine. (However my mom thought otherwise).
He also waved to Faith bye bye when we ready to leave. We liked him :)

dr. Setyowati SpA
We went to see her from my mom's reference. She said dr. Setyowati was my cousin's pediatrician (my cousin is 24 years old now :)). She also heard from other mom while waiting in RSPI that a female pediatrician knows better about children than a male pediatrician since she has both experiences, as a mom and as a doctor.
In overall dr. Setyowati was nice. She was more communicative than dr Hari. However for some reason Toma prefers a younger doctor.. hahaha..

Anyway, since Faith only went to pediatrician mostly for a regular vaccination checkup, there is not much difference on all the pediatrician's approach/method. For some reason we still want to try other pediatrician.


4 comments:

  1. There is nothing wrong with trying out new doctors for Faith. It is every parent’s right to choose the best doctor for her child. To help you decide more, perhaps you can try conducting doctor interviews? Just compile questions about things you’re concerned about. Through this, you can also bond with the doctor and determine if you can trust him. At least you’ll know who to turn to in case of emergencies.

    Chalice Lindgren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chalice, thanks for your comment. The thing is she's been healthy, so I don't have much questions about things i'm concerned about. But you're right, I have to find a pediatrician who I trust and can bond with. It's my homework.

      Delete
  2. So happy found this blog. I do need suggestion about the best pediatrician at RSPI, he/she must be has schedule at RSPI because my husband requested😂. Actually my baby boy already been patient of 2 pediatricians at RSPI (dr Purnamawati and dr Sander) but for some reasons, i think i gonna find another else.If you dont mind would you please share to us, who's your fav pediatrician at RSPI? thanks a lot 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi.. i tried dr yovita as well for my second son. Dr setyowati is also ok.. but lately i went to siloam tb simatupang with dr liliani.. the waiting period is much shorter than that in rspi..

      Delete